Silly Shenanigans in Senegal

Friday, March 12, 2010

And Y'all Thought You Were jealous

Surprise Wifi! So after spending an afternoon playing hard core volleyball we passed out and woke up to learn some Wolof! We started out learning an Islamic greeting and then learned some survival Wolof! Nanga def? (Waaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup?) Mangi fi rek (it's all good). I'll pretend like it didn't take me 20 mins to learn those to phrases...but really it did, glad our language teachers are so patient! Then had some seriousl gardening adventures...Learned double digging (a way to work harder that is apparently good for the plants) and seed garden production. Ate some plants straight out of the garden. Then we journeyed to the town and had a beer. Apprently lightweights who are dehydrated get drunk quickly...so we walked home. Had my first interaction with a "townie" clearly I was awkward. So...anyway, I saved the best for last. Toilet Paper is a delicacy over here...so yesterday we learned how to use a douche and our left hand. Don't worry, I show everyone when you visit :0
Thats all for now, I'm currently chillin in what we deemed "The Disco Hut" so...so long from the Disco Hut :)

3 comments:

  1. Nanga def SeneKel?
    Mostly sounds like fun except for the hygiene aspect 8-/
    You'll have to give me more insight into the gardening tips so I can improve my own efforts.
    What veggies did you eat direct from the ground?
    <3, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kelly - about the whole toilet paper thing... That is interesting to say the least. But it definatly sounds life changing and sounds like fun (minus the toilet paper). Glad your eatting your veggies!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha WHAT?? a douche, kelly, really??

    i miss you!!
    page

    ReplyDelete